By a note, the Minister of Justice, Charles Wright has seized this Tuesday, August 2, the Prosecutor General’s Office at the Court of Appeal of Conakry. The authority asks the prosecutor to pursue the FNDC for defamation and disclosure of false information. This request comes after the imprisonment of two FNDC leaders at the end of last week.
In his letter addressed to the public prosecutor’s office at the Conakry court of appeal, the Minister of Justice accuses the National Front for the Defence of the Constitution (FNDC) of “Defamation and dissemination of false information likely to endanger public peace and security and complicity of murder”.
Charles Wright reproached the citizens’ movement, especially its representative Sekou Koundouno, for having “made serious accusations” against the President of the Transition, Mamadi Doumbouya, accusing him of being the mastermind of the repression. This was done without the FNDC providing any proof, the Minister of Justice said.
The FNDC opts instead for the ICC to make its voice heard.
For its part, the citizens’ movement announced that it had referred the matter to the Prosecutor General of the International Criminal Court (ICC) to denounce the deadly repression of demonstrations and the violation of human rights in the country. This complaint is attached to a list of “the masterminds of the repression” headed by Mamadi Doumbouya.
Unfounded accusations, according to the government.
Ousmane Gaoual Diallo is a Guinean minister and spokesperson for the transitional government. According to him, the accusations brought by the FNDC to the ICC are unfounded. “It is necessary to be reasonable and to emphasise the will of the authorities to maintain dialogue and to conduct this transition in the most serene way“The spokesperson of the transitional government said.
Despite the prohibitions on protests in Guinea, the FNDC organised demonstrations last week that turned deadly. According to the authorities, the movement caused the loss of several human lives, serious injuries and material damage. The authorities also accuse the movement of using children under the age of 10 for political purposes.
17 demonstrators are released.
Seventeen people, mostly young people, were arrested on the fringes of the bloody demonstrations of 28 and 29 July at the call of the FNDC, to demand transparent management of the transition. They were judged and released yesterday by the court of first instance of Dixinn for unprovoked offences. This first trial of those arrested is a relief for the various families who travelled to attend the hearings.
It should be noted that the hearings of FNDC activists and supporters will continue in the coming days. And according to the special prosecutor of the children’s court, dozens of others are still languishing in prison, including some 30 young people under the age of 13.